Our Thursday game offers a play-with-a pro raffle where the raffle winner receives a free play with a local bridge professional at a club game (preferably ours). The conditions of contest are as follows:
- Players receive one raffle ticket per entry on Thursday Evening. Players can purchase additional raffle tickets for $1 each (limit 5 per game).
- Players must write their name clearly on the back of the ticket and drop into raffle box for eligibility. If the name is not legible, the ticket will not qualify.
- Players not listed in the CBA club directory must write a phone number or email address on the ticket.
- One (1) winner will be drawn about every month. A winner is not eligible to enter the raffle for the next twelve (12) months.
- Winners are responsible for contacting and coordinating a date/time for their game with a pro after an introductory email from Tom/Julie. We will provide contact information. If it is convenient for the pro to play at our Thursday night game, please schedule your session for our game.
- Raffle winners will be responsible for the pro’s entry fee for any game other than the Thursday evening game. Pros play for free.
- If no game is scheduled within ninety (90) days of the raffle, the winning ticket expires and the winner forfeits the opportunity to play with the pro.
Below is a biographical sketch of each of our pros to date (arranged alphabetically).
Zach Brescoll is one of the most accomplished young bridge players in the United States. Having learned bridge at the knee of his grandfather, from the age of 11 onward he avidly consumed every bridge book he could get his hands on. Starting in high school he played in many sectional, regional and national tournaments. He has represented the United States seven (7) times in the World Bridge Federation junior olympic bridge championships, winning with his team two golds, one silver and one bronze medals. This past summer, playing with Tom Hunt, Zach placed second in the Bruce Life Master Pairs national event. Zach is a magna cum laude graduate of Queens University in Charlotte and, in his non-bridge related spare time, enjoys playing golf.
Anyone who plays at the club is likely to already know Len. Len is a Platinum Life Master having won over 12,000 Master Points who enjoys playing with clients at the club, sectional and regional level in the South East area. Len has won numerous Regional and Sectional events and has represented District 7 at the Nationals three times, once as District 7 NAP Unlimited Champion and twice as District 7 GNT Flight A Champion. The epitome of a southern gentleman, Len can also be found indefatigably lugging around massive quantities of bridge tournament equipment for his appreciative wife, ACBL director (ret.) Janet Case.
Jean Davis is Diamond Life Master and accredited ACBL Bridge Instructor. Jean learned bridge in college and played extensively in Columbus, Ohio for many years, becoming a life master in 1976. Upon moving to Charlotte in 2005, Jean firmly established herself as one of the key promoters of the game in this town.
Jean is well-known in the Charlotte bridge community for her selfless devotion to helping others learn the game. She has assisted many developing players achieve their bridge goals, both as a teacher and as a partner. Her lessons (both planned and impromptu, post-game recaps) are clear, concise, and always level-appropriate.
John is a three-time junior champion. He won the National mixed pairs 2003, the National Swiss in 2014, and earned a bronze medal as a member of the United States national team in both 2013 and 2015 in the Bermuda Bowl. John has over 18,000 master points and is a pleasure to play with!